Google

How Facebook Inc, Google Inc Are Different: Ex-Employee Explains

Ex-employee of both Google and Facebook shares his working experiences, and explains what makes the two different from each other. Facebook Inc (NASDAQ:FB) and Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG) (NASDAQ:GOOGL) have a lot in common but at the same time are also different. The core business of both tech firms is almost similar, i.e., providing information, but…

Continue Reading

7%… What about the other 93%?

Two weeks ago I delivered a keynote address to a group of CFO’s titled “Eyes of a Leader” and we talked about the importance of non-verbal communication. Researchers say that 93% of communication is communicated non-verbally: facial expression, body language, tone of voice and gestures. We decided to do some improvisation where we had a…

Continue Reading

Grid

What % are you in a square?

Our environment has a profound impact on us. Think about the friends and family members we hang out with and the affect they have on our mood. Negative people immediately bring us down and drain our energies. Conversely, positive people pick us up and give us energy. The same can be said for the physical…

Continue Reading

Decisions

“There are moments when you stand on the brink of a new experience and understand that you have no choice about it. Either way you walk into the experience or you turn away from it, but you know no matter what you chose, you will have altered your life in a permanent way. Either way,…

Continue Reading

Make Statements- Improvisation in the Workplace

The Groundlings School of Improvisation taught me to make statements. I personally love to ask questions, however, this keeps me from thinking outside the box. Last week I talked to a real estate company in Columbus and did my keynote address- “Eyes of a Leader”. I had the entire audience perform improvisation to experience the…

Continue Reading

Acting in Corporate America

One of my acting students was a doctor at Ohio State before he got transferred to Pittsburgh. He had an interest in acting and wanted to see what it would be like to get on stage and perform. My student signed up for my 8 week film acting class and made all 8 weeks. The…

Continue Reading

Mr. Barzo

Imagine you’re at an elementary school and you have 3 teacher’s to choose from that includes teacher “X”, teacher “Y” and Mr. Barzo. Teacher “X” and teacher “Y” operate out of their head/box and are very linear, structured and serious. They follow their lesson plans, keep the class quiet and orderly, work off a Smartboard…

Continue Reading

Playing It Safe Is The Problem

John Chen is the CEO of Blackberry and made the following statement: “Customers and the market will only respond if you’re innovating again”. Innovation is what make companies money! Think about some of our most creative companies and look at their stock prices: Google- $598.26/ share Apple-$101.73/ share Amazon-$328.21/ share Tesla- $252.14/ share It’s easy…

Continue Reading

A BLADE OF GRASS

When I was at the University of Kentucky we had a guest speaker come to our campus and in the workshop he talked about “3-D Living”. “3-D Living” is using all of our senses during the day. When we live in our head/box we become disconnected from our senses and miss out on opportunities to…

Continue Reading

Play Fast

When you embrace failure you give yourself a chance to do great things, and this way of thinking applies in all aspects of one’s life: social, personal and professional. “You have to give yourself a chance to fail.” That’s what Kenny “The Jet” Smith said during an NCAA college basketball tournament, about a star player…

Continue Reading

$MASHING THE BOX & MAKING $$$

Here are the financial returns for individuals who thought inside the box, out of the box and SMASHED THE BOX over a 10 year period. Inside the box- .17%- 1.988%/ Savings account & CD Outside the box- 2.6%/ Blend of equities & fixed income SMASHED THE BOX- 306%/ IBB Biotech ETF SMASH THE BOX IS…

Continue Reading

Steve Jobs Took a Risk & See What Happened

I had just finished presenting my one hour keynote presentation “SMASH THE BOX” where I was talking to the event planner when a gentleman from the corner of my eye caught my attention. The gentleman was about six tables away and slowly approaching the two of us talking. He was a man with a big…

Continue Reading